Did I mention the drought we had this summer? It was the worst drought in recorded history. Drought = lack of rain = a really sad corn field :(
We had been planning our trip to this corn maze for weeks. We were a tad bit disappointed. We drove over an hour to get there. They took us an a half mile hay ride and deposited us here...
...at the shortest corn maze we've ever seen. The hay bale maze in Maryland was taller than this :p.
I'm poking fun, but it didn't matter. We still had a great time. It was just what our family needed...some fun time without bickering or whining or complaining.
Look, if I get down at worms eye view...it almost looks like tall corn :).
It was a beautiful, clear day, but it was also cold. I think fall is finally settling in to stay.
After the maze, the kids went for a ride on the barrel train. Funny! Seriously, everything was just so silly, that we laughed and laughed.
Well, that is until we let the kids race through the two sections of the maze alone. Jaelyn and Caden went one way. Allie went the other. Jaelyn and Caden worked together to see the way - Jaelyn put Caden on her back and he'd scout out the path most taken. Allie on the other hand was alone. Once she got to the back of the maze, we could see her hat bobbing around, but she couldn't see anything but corn. She stopped and I raced to her. I found her standing still, sobbing and scared. I had flashbacks to a fateful day at hourly care in Germany (I bet my mom remembers exactly what I'm talking about). She was that upset. I calmed her down and let her get one more easter egg (sorry, just can't call them Halloween Eggs) even though everyone had already hit their limit of candy. Tootsie Rolls cheer everyone up!
Since we were so close to Springfield, we headed to the mall to buy a couple more winter clothing items and then had an early dinner at McAllister's Deli. I wish we had one closeby. Everyone loves to eat there and with $1.99 kids meals, it's actually affordable. We might have also wandered around target for a bit with a spiral notebooks to get a head start on Christmas lists. I can't believe it's that time already.
I've got to say, Saturday was a perfect day. Lately, the kids seem to argue and fight constantly. There was none of that. Jaelyn and I read in the car together (1/3 of the way through the first Harry Potter book). We had a good time laugh and joking. They cooperated with us and helped each other out. It was just a great family day!!!
That is sad looking corn indeed!
ReplyDelete