Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Summer

My parents went home on Sunday.  We had a great visit with them.  I'm sure Caden will begrudgingly happily give up his bed again.  Everytime, we mentioned something about Baba's room, Caden corrected us with a stern "It's MY room."  Now that it's just us everyday, summer entertaining is officially here. 

It rained cats and dogs Monday afternoon so we had a game day.  We played a Monopoly Marathon (Allie won) and then Jae and I had a Sequence tournament.  I won three games to two.  She wanted to play two more games, but I wanted to be the Grand Victor so I refused (mean Mommy - in my defense, I also had to cook dinner).  While I cooked we played several games of Mancala...I should mention the kids have to earn 8 checks on their chore charts to earn electronics the following day.  Sunday was a BBBBAAAADDDD day and Jaelyn didn't come close.  I was trying to keep her focused and happy so she could earn electronics for Tuesday....my trying failed.  Thankfully, Tuesday was a better day, so she can watch TV today. 

Tuesday afternoon, we went to the pool.  We had been waiting for this day.  The base outdoor pool here is huge and always packed.  It makes me miss our little APG pool where the lifeguard knew our names and where sometimes we had the pool to ourselves.  There's a water slide at this one compared to broken diving boards at the other one.  That kind of puts the new one out ahead.  It was the perfect 80 degree with a breeze day to sit out at the pool.  It wasn't a perfect day to be in the cold pool.  To begin with, Allie and Jaelyn played in the water while Caden sat beside me (I did get in the water, but I'm a smart girlie and got out pretty quickly before my lips turned blue).  Then some friends showed up.  Caden grabbed our noodles and started blowing water at everyone.  Jaelyn got cold and got out of the pool to take Caden's spot by my side.  She pretty much whined at me for an hour until it was time for us to go.  We decided that the pool will be perfect once the water warms up.  Friends to play with and a water slide that you can go down over and over...what more can you ask for.

Wednesday, I planned for the kids to bowl in the afternoon.  Jaelyn was horrible coming home from summer school and lost bowling before we got in the car.  She sat beside me and continued her rudeness while Allie and Caden bowled losing Karate for that night.  Allie and Caden had a great time bowling and I had a great time only paying for shoe rental.  Our bowling alley lets kids bowl 2 games a day free all summer long.  How great is that?  I see more bowling in our future.

Thursday was a beautiful, hot day and when the kids asked to go to the swimming pool, who was I to say no?  They each found a friend and had a great time playing.  This pool is so big and so packed that it's hard to keep on eye on the kids.  At APG, I could read a book and glance up to check on the kids every few seconds.  At this pool, reading is almost impossible if I want to know where my kids are at all times.  And trust me, I want to know where my kids are at all times when they are in the water.  There are so many dark, bobbling heads.  Allie had her hair in braided pigtails and she was the easiest to spot.  I that they might become the official swimming hairdo. 

I can tell that the kids skipped swim lessons last summer.  They've lost a lot of their strokes.  I signed them up for swim lessons but they don't do the higher levels until later in the summer.  We'll be doing lessons mid-August just in time for school to start and the pool to close.  Once again the slide was the hit of the pool.  It's fun...I tried it a few times myself. 


Today, Jaelyn has a doctor's appointment after school and then I might let them wade at the Roubidoux or take them to Happy Hollow. 

Tomorrow, I'm letting Dan borrow the cruise director hat.  I'm tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment