Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Huli Huli Chicken

I made Huli Huli Chicken, ripped out of my mom's Taste of Home magazine, for dinner tonight.  Huli means "turn" in Hawaiian apparently, but I think it should mean "darn good teriyaki."  Jaelyn needed to be occupied for a bit this morning; so I put her incharge of dumping and whisking while I measured.  I even got her to try the marinade and give me a thumbs up.  That's a big deal. 

The chicken was great.  Dan and I had seconds and Jaelyn and Caden even ate it.  Caden gave us a thumbs down on the first bite, but by the 5th, he'd slowly raised his thumb level to almost up :).  I paired it with rice, sauted zuccini and grilled pineapple.  We have become major pineapple lovers. I buy 2 or 3 a week.  It tastes like summer and at $2-2.50 a pineapple, it's cheaper and healthier than just about any pre-package, processed snack.

Here's the recipe:


Grilled Huli Huli Chicken

1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup chicken broth or sherry
2 1/2 tsp minced fresh gingerroot (we just grated a little teeny bit of ginger - I'm not a fan)
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
24 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 5 lbs)

1.  In a small bowl, mix the 1st six ingredients.  Reserve 1 1/3 cups for basting; cover and refrigerate.  Divide remaining marinade between two large resealable plastic bags.  Add 12 chicken thighs to each; seal bags and turn to coat.  Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

2.  Drain and discard marinade from chicken.  Lightly coat grill rack with oil.

3.  Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink; baste occassionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. That looks yum! I'm going to have to give it a try later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this one as soon as I can grill again!! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome! I printed off the recipe so I can try it.

    Melany

    ReplyDelete