Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Jaelyn's Creative Writing Squid Assignment

Jaelyn's life science class was assigned a project based on a passage from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea where Jules Verne exaggerates seeing a cuttlefish.  Jaelyn was assigned the giant squid.    This was a collaborative effort.  She's much better at writing non-fiction reports than creative fiction.

The Giant Squid by Jaelyn
I am going to the deep, dark Hatteras Plains in my bright, yellow submarine to find an elusive Block-Nosed Giraffe Fish. I am so deep in the North Atlantic Ocean that all I see is a foot in front of my submarine light. Then, I spot a glow coming towards me. As it heads closer it’s blinding me like a solar beam from the sun. I am getting more scared. This thing looks like a giant squid on MEGA steroids. It’s the size of a battle ship. I see eyes the size of a hot air balloon staring into me like black holes from outer space. The next thing I know there are thirty tentacles all over my submarine. The suckers are the size of dinner plates with hundreds of daggers on each one puncturing holes in my submarine. Ink mixed with the frigid, salty water is slowly spilling in. It is suddenly pitch black and silent like time has been paused and then I hear a crushing metal noise as his giant beak snaps down like two iron anvils tearing my submarine in half. I take my last breath of air thinking “and I never even saw a Block-Nosed Giraffe Fish.”


Exaggerated
Unexaggerated
Glowing light as bright as a solar beam from the sun
Like a blue glow stick
Size like a squid on mega steroids or the size of a battle ship
30-44 feet long
Eyes the size of a hot air balloon or black holes from outer space
The size of a big persons head
Has 30 tentacles
8 tentacles
Suckers are the size of dinner plates
2-3 inches
Teeth on suckers are like daggers
Like miniature shark teeth
Ink is pitch black
It can be black, white, or a mix
Beak tore my submarine in half
It isn’t that strong but is strong enough to eat a sperm whale


No comments:

Post a Comment