Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

Let's Review

As soon as I say "It's going really well," I'm forced to eat my words.  So, as much for me as for you, I thought I'd make a list of everything Jaelyn has done in the 9 days since the 1st day of school since this morning hasn't gone so well.

  • Had 4 meltdowns.
  • Correctly spelled around 275 spelling words.  I love the curriculum Spelling Power.  It's organized around a list of the 5,000 most frequently used words and it takes no more than 15 minutes a day.  She gets immediate feedback and she only studies the words she spells incorrectly.  I always have thought it a waste of time to make kids study words they already know.
  • Learned about matter and its properties and states.  We did experiments to help understand volume and displacement, density, buoyancy, surface tension, freezing point, and condensing point.  I love Apologia (our science curriculum).
  • Read half of the Wizard of Oz AND enjoyed it.
  • Read books of her choice for a total of 450 minutes...that's 7.5 hours, folks.
  • Studied about nouns and pronouns
  • Wrote 4 complete stories and wrote several 5 minute introductions to stories.
  • Covered 6 chapters in history (there are only 2-3 pages each) and learned about early man coming to North America, the Inuit, and the Anasazi.  She started a timeline around her school room with index cards on string.  I wonder how many times we'll loop the room before June.
  • Worked on reading comprehension
  • Completed 2 units in Math.
  • AND last but not least...baked cupcakes and made duct tape flowers and wallets.

1 comment:

  1. Homeschooling definitely has its ups and downs...but it is so worth it to me. After my strokes, everyone wanted me to put the kids in school. I just couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete