Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Faith Hope and Love Quilted

My mother-in-law, Joan, has been talking about making a quilt sampler to frame.  After Nana passed away, I asked her if I could make it for her out of some of Nana's shirts.  Joan mailed me the shirts right away and then I stared at them for about three weeks.  Honestly, making that first cut terrified me even though I had it planned out in my head and knew exactly what I wanted to make.  I had settled on "Hope, Faith, and Love."  Those three words describe Nana pretty well :).
 
Once I did start cutting, I struggled a bit with the fabrics...how to make them fit together.  I ended up using three that I loved together and filling in with white cotton.


Here is everything basically made...




I can't believe I sewed on the border without noticing the spacing problem.


OCD would not let me leave it.  Much better!
 

(stupid blogger, it'll let me enlarge and caption the first two pictures, but no more)
 
Still working on my stippling technique.  I had two little oops on this one and I still need to work on my back tension, but it's looking better.
 

I wasn't sure about using the red as the border, but I love it.
 
 
Most bases have a frame shop where you can take a class and use the shop for the cost of materials.  I took the class and this was my first solo framing project.  I love how it turned out.  I hope Joan agrees :).
 

3 comments:

  1. You know I love your quils. It turned out great! Glad you framed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just looks fantastic! How long did it take?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kendra! Sandi, it was a weekend project, but it should have been a day project if I hadn't fiddled around with different materials and then had to pull out a lot to fix the spacing. This was my second project and it definitely taught me some lessons :).

    ReplyDelete