Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Our Last Hoorah of Spring Break

We decided to have a last bit of fun, and to get out of town, so we headed southeast to Elephant Rocks and Johnson Shut-ins State Parks yesterday.  We had a wonderful time hiking around at Elephant Rocks.  Even Gracie got in on the rock climbing.  The area is beautiful and the view will be breath-taking when everything is green again.  There was great picture taking opportunities.


Where's Allie?

Jaelyn enjoyed leap-frogging the huge boulders. 

Caden is amazed that Allie can lift him, Jaelyn and the rock!

Prettier by the day.



These rocks are at the summit of the small stone mountain.  I'm sure it's where the park got it's name.  Apparently they were all deposited there from a nearby quarry years ago.  The giant elephant rocks had the miner's names carved in the sides.

I love this picture....all of my babies, minus Zac of course.

We spent a couple hours at Elephant Rocks and then headed to Johnson Shut-ins.  I was so excited to check out this park.  Another mom told me about it.  The park has a section where a stream has crisscrossed coming down a mountain and has left natural slides and pools in the rocks to play in.  Missouri's park website said dogs are welcome at all state parks...well, not this particular section of Johnson Shut-ins.  There was a "no pets allowed" sign at the trail head.  I wish I had been looking the other way because we had to be honest once we saw it, stop and turn around with Gracie Mae.  We found another section of the park that had a stream to play in instead.  It was fun, but I bet not nearly as much fun as the other would have been.

Caden was being a troll under the bridge, but it looks more like the Incredible Hulk balancing a steel beam on his head!


We've had a lazy day after church today.  Our main objective is to be ready to go back to school and to get on an airplane to DC tomorrow.  It's gonna be a long week for Mommy!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! It really looks like you all had fun. Lost in the woods isn't so bad after all. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete