
I love this bell. It belonged to Mary Adeline. She was my Grandma Molly's Mother. I was told it is a school bell, but I don't know if that's true or not. I do know it's large and loud so it's possible. It's only purpose in my home has been to be pretty. It's been in a curio or on a shelf or most recently packed away in a box in the basement. I've found it's purpose. Have I mentioned how long our house is? It was originally built as a duplex and the army did a surprisingly good job of sound proofing between the two units. Noise does not travel between the two halves of the house very well. When you are in the bedrooms, you can't hear what's going on in the rest of the house. It was getting very frustrating at mealtime. I'd have to walk the eighty two feet to tell everyone it was time to eat. No one ever heard me when I yelled. I unpacked my bell and have been using it as a dinner bell. It's working great. The kids come running when they hear it. Pavlov knew what he was talking about. I bet Addie would be glad to know her bell is being used and loved again.
I had one years ago (when I collected bells) and had one very similar looking. My mom picked it up at an antique store. They were selling off items from an old school house and the bell was one of them. So its possible that it actually is an old school bell. Would be fun to see if you can get any history on the bell. Where is the "Antique Road Show" when you need them?
ReplyDeleteOn another note. I wish I had a house like yours!!!! I wouldn't mind a place to go and "run away" for some peace and quiet now and then. Especially when I am trying to sew. Maybe I should start looking for a house like that!!
Kiley
Kiley, if tour husband joined the army, all of this could be yours. Seriously, no one wants to come here so there are lots of jobs. Now actually getting the house was a challenge but it all worked out in the end. :)
ReplyDeleteI never saw the point of a formal living room until I had kids. I'd love a room that was just mine. I guess that's the female version of a man cave.
LOL. Love my husband to death. But army material he is not. TRUST ME!! Now if you say there is a computer job that pays big bucks, then sold!!
ReplyDeleteAs much as I love the hustle and bustle of the "city" life. I am rather getting sick of the "city" attitudes. Thinking its time for a change.