Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Narratives

We are starting a narrative series in our writing book.  Today's assignment was fun.  We had to make a list of 4 unrelated things and had 10 minutes to write a story that connected them.  I wrote with the kids.  I've learned they are more motivated when I "school" along.

Our 4 things were

  • a blue crayon
  • a dead butterfly
  • a jar of pickles
  • a brown bird


Here's my story.

It's a beautiful day to sit and draw the scene in front of me with my blue crayon.  I gaze out my window at the gentle waves on the lake.  I wish I could sit here forever, but I must get up and fix my crazy kids their lunch.  As I'm grabbing a jar of pickles out of the fridge, I am startled by a loud wack. I drop the jar when I jump, covering the floor with pickles and glass.  The smell of dill quickly fills my house.  When I look out, I see a little brown bird laying next to a dead butterfly.  The bird shakes his head and flies away, but I'm sad because the butterfly never will.

Here's Caden's.  I might need to take his crayons away.

Woosh!  I threw my blue crayon at the little brown bird which landed in my jar of pickles.  It was attracted by my dead butterfly on the ground by my jar of pickles.  I picked up the crayon and poked the bird making sure it was dead.  It was.  The bird was twitching and there was a blue mark from were I hit it.  There was a blue mark on the butterfly too.  (at this point in his reading, he gives me a sly grin.)

Jaelyn's is along those same lines.  What am I doing wrong???

One day when I lived in the forest, I found a blue crayon.  I went home and got paper so I could draw something with it.  I drew a beautiful blue butterfly.  Then it was bedtime so I went to bed.  In the middle of the night, I heard some ruckus and decided to go check it out.  I saw my paper and it was plain white.  Then I went outside and my blue butterfly was flying.  I quickly dashed inside to get a jar.  It was filled with pickles I dumped them out and left.  Once I caught the butterfly I went back to sleep.  The next morning I woke up I grabbed my butterfly and went down stairs to where I dropped my pickles.  I murdered the butterfly and put it in a glass show box.  I went outside and saw a little brown bird.  I went to the garage and grabbed a butterfly net.  I caught the little brown bird and murdered it with my last pickle.  Than I put it in a little glass box.  I decided to become a person who collects things with wings and put them in glass cases.

Allie didn't put the full 10 minutes into hers and it shows..

The little brown bird brought me a dead butterfly.  It dropped it in a jar of pickled for some odd reason.  But then I got a piece of paper and a blue crayon to draw a picture of the sunset that day.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I'm starting to really enjoy seeing the changes in them during writing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I still have to stop myself from questioning "are they on grade level" and be proud of the work they are doing and the improvements I see. It's hard to get out of that mindset, especially since I'm not sure how long we'll do this.

      Delete