Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Results Are Here

In order to prove that we have met Virginia's homeschooling requirements, Jaelyn either had to score above the 36th percentile in math and language on a standardized test or she had to be evaluated by someone. I chose the SAT-10 and I think I was more stressed about her taking it than she was a couple of weeks ago. I felt like it was an evaluation of me as well as her.

I received her scores last night and I'm so proud of her. Jaelyn entered the year as a low average student. My focus this year has been increasing her reading and math skills. We did science and social studies, but they definitely took a back burner to the other. I'm proud to report that Jaelyn's total reading score was the 50th percentile. Dead center, perfectly average, and I'm absolutely thrilled with that. Her fluency and comprehension has improved so much this year. Her math score shocked me...70th percentile. I had no idea she would score so high. Call me impressed! For spelling, she started the year at a 7th grade level, according to our curriculum. She ended the year at a 9th grade level and placed in the 72nd percentile on the test.  Her lowest score was the 47th percentile in total language arts. Overall, her total battery was the 53rd percentile.   That's a tad bit above average :).

Seeing her scores makes me more excited about next year. I plan to continue doing exactly what we've been doing for reading and math. I'm still on the hunt for a new language arts program. I wasn't happy with either of the two curriculum I tried and I think the test results show it. I'm going to focus even more on writing, which I think we actually did a fair amount of and have seen an improvement. I'll also make sure to put a bigger emphasis on science and social studies. We still have 6 days if school, but other than a reading block, I'm considering our school year complete!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Very awesome! You rock teacher Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are some fantastic results! Well done to BOTH of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were gearing to start 6th grade this fall. What are you using for curriculum?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are gearing up to start home-schooling for middle school. What curriculum are you using? Thoughts and ideas welcome

    ReplyDelete