April 15th marked one year since my sweet friend, Kendra, had her stroke. I wanted to mark it in someway for her so I decided to make her a quilt. In my head, it started out as a lap quilt backed in fleece or flannel, but it grew and morphed into something more. I think it's my favorite finished project. The post office did a good job and got it all the way to Alaska on the perfect day.
It started with a text to ask Kendra her favorite verse and colors. She sent me two verses of which I chose the first lines in the 23rd Psalm. Her favorite colors are purple, green and coral. I started making it over spring break. I couldn't wait to get to Florida to a real fabric store as there aren't any lost in the woods.
Here's my color scheme. For this one, I made the letters solid purple and pieced the other fabrics for the background.
I've been working on my appliquéing techniques so I decided to add a Shepherd and some sheep on the bottom of the quilt.
The Shepherd's hook...
I have a friend that writes with a paint pen for her tags on the back, but I hate my handwriting. I learned I can run fabric taped to cardstock through my printer. It's a little wavy, but for writing, it worked great. Just heat seat it and it won't wash out (I tried before I sewed it on).
And the finished quilt...please ignore my hair day!
(and once again blogger will only let me make my first picture bigger arggghhh...click and view the photos in the slideshow to see them bigger!)
It is hanging in a place of honor. I made Scott hang it so the kids wouldn't mess it up.
ReplyDelete